Sep 26, 2008

Trying New Things

Broken plates are always a huge pain. No matter how diligently you sweep the floor you always find that one last shard in the bottom of your foot. So when my husband dropped one of our plates last weekend I wasn't too pleased. But as I looked at how large the pieces were I started to wonder if I couldn't use them in a craft project. We have had this wide framed mirror in our closet for years because it was just too plain to put out yet I knew it could be destined for something else.

So we set out to do our first mosaic. Our plates are white with a black damask pattern. We knew we wouldn't have enough pieces to cover the whole mirror so we bought some cheap black plates from Wal Mart and broke them, too.

Here is what our finished mirror looks like:



It was nice to take a break from all the sewing to learn about a new process. It was fun and I appreciate mosaic pieces so much more now. We wont be pursuing mosaics any further but it's always fun to know we can do it.

Check out this Etsy store, Rockcandymosaics, that has beautiful mosaics!

2 comments:

Robot said...

That's a pretty creative use of a broken plate!

Dawn Emmett said...

Busted stuff never looked so good! Great job! It looks fantastic!
Dawn